Open Applications & Folders Using Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows

In this Windows Tutorial, we will learn about, assigning Keyboard Shortcuts, to your favorite applications. Now, you can access any of your application, or game, by pressing just a keyboard shortcut.

To assign shortcut to your application, right-click on the application icon, and then choose Properties. In the “Shortcut tab”, you can see the “Shortcut key” box. Click inside the box, and press a shortcut key combination from your keyboard. Like, I am assigning Control Shift W, for WordPad. Always use, at least two combination keys, like Control Shift W, or Alt Shift W., This is because; there are already hundreds of predefined shortcuts for different applications. So, assigning a small shortcut like, Control W alone, can cause mismatch with other shortcuts.

Now, whenever I need to access WordPad, I don’t need to go to, Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then WordPad. I can access WordPad, by pressing Control Shift W., Moreover, you can also access those applications, while working within other applications.

For instance, here I am going to assign a shortcut, Control Shift C, to Calculator. As I am working now in a WordPad document, and I need to calculate some values. Now, I can easily access Calculator by pressing, Control Shift C., After calculating values, I can press ALT TAB, to switch between programs, or ALT F4, to close that application.

You cannot assign keyboard shortcuts for folders and documents. If I open the “Properties” windows for a folder or file, then you can see that, there is not “Shortcut” option available. However, there is an interesting thing that you can do to assign shortcuts, to your favorite documents and folders.

For instance, I have my favorite folder on E drive of my computer, which I frequently access all the day, to listen songs, while working on computer. Every time, I have to open Computer, then E Drive, and at last that Song folder. But the problem is that, I cannot assign a shortcut to the folder. So, what I do is, first I will create a shortcut of this folder. There are two methods of creating a shortcut to your files and folders. First one is to choose, “Create Shortcut” from context menu. This will then create a shortcut for your folder or file on the same place, and later you can cut or paste that shortcut anywhere you want. Like you can cut it from here, and then paste it your Desktop, for easy access. Even you can pin this shortcut to your Taskbar. Second method is to directly create and send a shortcut on your desktop, by choosing, Send To, Desktop (Create Shortcut). This method saves your time of cutting and pasting, if you actually want it on your desktop.

So, I have a shortcut of my original file or folder, I can now assign a keyboard shortcut to this shortcut. To do this, right-click on the Shortcut, and choose Properties. Here you can see the Shortcut tab, where you can assign a shortcut key. Now, whenever I need to listen to a song, I can use the same keyboard shortcut, even while working in any application.

 

 

Comments