Microsoft Excel 2016 Tutorial | How To Freeze Rows and Columns | Using F...

Hello Friends, and welcome again
to our channel, “The Teacher”. My name is Rajiv, and today, in this Excel
video, we will learn about using Freeze Panes in our Worksheets. While working
with worksheets with a large amount of data, you might fall into a very common
problem, and that is, when you scroll down to see other records in worksheet,
the top heading row is no longer visible then, and you might actually get lost
while searching for a particular set of record. What I need here is to, see the
top heading row all the time, doesn’t matter how far I scroll down through my
worksheet.
To Freeze a single or multiple
rows in this worksheet, we will use the Freeze Panes command from the View tab,
under Window section. When you open the Freeze Panes drop down menu, here you
have 3 different freeze option to choose from. As in this worksheet, I want to
Freeze the top heading row alone, then I will go for the 2nd option
i.e. “Freeze Top Row”, and as I click on this option, you can notice a dark
border is created underneath the first row, which indicates that the first row is
freeze now, and if I scroll down to see other records in my worksheet, the top
heading row will always be visible, which ultimately makes it easy, to find a
particular set of information.
When you need to unfreeze the
first row, just go to Freeze Panes section, and click Unfreeze Panes.
As with rows, you can also use
Freeze Panes for columns as well. For instance, in the second worksheet of this
workbook, which is Full Orders Summary, I have a large amount of records in
rows, and columns as well. What I need here is, I want to freeze the first
column, so I can match the Order ID with Product Category. But when I scroll
horizontally to see other columns in this worksheet, the first column is no
more visible. So, to freeze the first column here, I will use 3rd
option from Freeze Panes menu, which is, Freeze First Column. You can
immediately notice that, the border between column A and Column B get darker,
which indicates that the first column is freeze now, and if now I scroll
horizontally in this worksheet, I may still be able to see the first column.
You can Unfreeze the column
anytime, by clicking on Unfreeze Panes from the Freeze Panes drop down.
But it is not necessary that you
may always want to freeze the top row or first column. For instance, in the 3rd
worksheet of this workbook, you can see that here we have an additional heading
above the column headings, and if I just go and use Freeze First Row command,
then only the first row get freeze and the actual headings in the second row
that I want to freeze, will not be visible as I will scroll through this
worksheet. In this case, I want to freeze the first two rows of this worksheet.
So, to freeze more than one rows, first you need to consider the active cell
position, means what is your current position in the worksheet, because the
command that we are going to use now will be freezing all the rows above from
your current positions. As I want to freeze the first two rows of this
worksheet, so I will move and will set my active cell position on the first
column and third row, which is cell A3. Now to freeze the first two rows, I
will use the first command Freeze Panes, which actually freezes the columns and
rows according to the active cell position. So, as our active cell is A3, then
the Excel will only freeze the two rows above A3 alone.
Sometimes, you might want to
freeze more than one column and rows at the same time. Let’s unfreeze
everything first, and then look into this scenario. For instance, in this same
worksheet, I want to freeze the top two rows, and first three columns from the
left. This time again I will use the same command, and before I just go and use
the Freeze Panes, I will first change my active cell position. So, in this
case, it will be the 3rd row, and 4th column, and the
active cell position will be D3. Now, if I apply the Freeze Panes command, and
then according to the current active cell position, if I scroll vertically
then, the top two rows will always be visible, and if I scroll horizontally
through this worksheet, then the first 3 columns will always remain visible.
Anytime, when you no longer need
to freeze any column or row, just go and click Unfreeze Panes.
So, this is how you can use
Freeze Panes in worksheets with a large amount of data.


I hope you will find this video
useful. Do leave your suggestions and comments in the box below. Don’t forget
to hit the like button, and do subscribe to our channel for more upcoming
tutorial videos. Thanks for watching, and have a nice day!


Comments